Tuesday, June 16, 2009

How I Got into Photography

When Ethan was about 4 months old, I started talking to a friend of mine that was telling me her love for photography (black and white film to be exact). She used to have a business in NY and missed it.

Well, being a new mom, I was in love with the idea of offering my child up for practice. I agreed to buy all of the film and she'd show up and shoot. (Pardon my head on the below pic, when I was transferring it over, it made it look weird....).

She shot tons and tons of rolls and I fell in love with every one of them.

It was amazing to me how she could capture his eyes in a black and white photo!

This is one of my all time favorites that she took. It won a photo contest too. I had a series of 3 similar ones matted and framed.


As soon as I saw them, I was hooked. Jerry got me my first Minolta Maxxum SLR camera and I've been at it ever since. These were my first attempt at black and white film photography.

Personally, I don't think I did a bad job. Actually, looking at them makes me want to shoot more film.

There is something timeless and elegant about a black and white photo.

Note to self: Self, you need to get back into black and white film photography.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gosh! I had forgotton about those pics of Ethan....beautiful! I have to agree with you. There is something about black & white photos that just make a picture stand out and look elegant. I think that you are doing a great job with your photography. Ethan will have tons of amazing pictures to look back on when he is older.


Dawn

Tara said...

Those are great pictures. I do remember them, seems like just yesterday, hard to believe it has been 5 years since they were all born. Thanks for sharing. I love the black and white photos too.

Eric said...

these pictures are great!
Why is it that Black and white photos seem so artistic? LOL

Eric