Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Boats and Imagination

Ethan has always had a fascination with my dad's boats. Well, not even so much my dad's boats, but boats in general. Ever since he was a toddler, he would bug my dad to take him out to his boat so that he could drive it. Have you ever driven a parked boat? Me either, but Ethan is quite the pro at it.


Now that he's older, Ethan doesn't need my dad to put him on the boat. He can climb into it all by his 4-year old self. You can turn your head for 30 seconds, and there he is. Sitting on the boat in pure bliss. The funny thing is, he's never been on a boat that is actually in water. I wonder how he would react to the bobbing of the boat over waves.


But my dad has a rule. He won't take either boy fishing on the boat until they can swim. I agree. Even though they have life jackets, anything can happen and I will feel much more secure knowing he can swim. Of course, right now Ethan doesn't know what he's missing. Because in his imagination, he's navigating his boat to his hearts content.

Watch out world. This is one boy that is part fish at heart. Here's to the day the day that he can actually see what it's like when the boat is on water. Of course, fishing with my dad is going to be a different matter all together. Do you think he'll be able to sit still and talk quietly as to not scare the fish away? I kind of doubt that, but we won't tell my dad just yet. Let him find out the hard way!

No comments: