Monday, January 19, 2009

Texans Have Thin Skin. Seriously. Well Mostly.

I determined a few years ago that Texans have thin skin. Well, I have thin skin. I guess it's OK to admit (to my five readers here) that although I don't represent everyone in Texas, in my world here on the blog, I do. Err.. and I will also admit (but don't tell anyone else I said so) that in my mind, my outlook on this is very significant. What do you mean? you ask. Well I'll share. It can be 70 degrees outside and I have the heater on in my car. I have a heater on my desk at work. I have an extra heater in my bedroom. I love heating pads because they make me warm. Blow dryers make my heart sing when I'm blow drying my hair.

This is also a bone of contention between me and Jerry. You see, he's not Texan, therefore he doesn't have thin skin. We recently drove up to Austin (which is about a 3 hour drive). During the course of said 3 hours, we engaged in a temperature war. Every. Three. Minutes. I would continually try and get sneaky....creeping the temperature gauge to "hot" every time I thought Jerry wasn't looking. Obviously, I'm not as stealth as I tell myself I am. So he would then turn it back to cool and we would start all over. Luckily, we both have a sense of humor so instead of this turning ugly, it gave us a good laugh.

Lets take a moment though to step back in time, shall we? I was a senior in high school and was dating a boy with a convertible. One night we were going somewhere (and I have no idea where "somewhere" was) but it was an unusually cold winter night. Well, to me it was an unusually cold winter night. I admit it was probably in the 50's. Apparently, he didn't have thin skin either because that night I do believe I might have singed his eyebrows a little. He was a good sport about it for a while but then he went and got all unreasonable on me! Unreasonable I tell ya! He pulled the car off of the road and in a huff, yanked the roof off of the car!! I tried to sit there with as much dignity as I could muster, driving down the road in the dead of winter with the top down on the car. I do think I even muttered something to the effect of Ughhh what's wrong with you!?

We don't have a convertible now but I wouldn't put it past Jerry to do something similar. I admit, I get a little OCD when it comes to heat. Hmmmm, thinking about this a little more, maybe I am the anomaly in this equation. Although, since this is my blog, I get to set the stage....

So....Everyone in Texas has thin skin.

Well...except for Jerry. And my high school boyfriend. Any my sister-in-law. And my bother. Oh, and Ethan...he doesn't have thin skin either. Or my dad.

But everyone else in Texas does. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Please excuse me while I go crank on the heat...

Sincerely,


She Who Would Not Survive in Alaska



Tonight, I'd like to give a special thanks to Jen. Thanks Jen, for being you. And for letting me harass you endlessly a few moments ago.

1 comment:

Eunice Argueta said...

you sure do have thin skin...LMAO!!!