Monday, February 16, 2009

Things That Make You go Hmmm....

I hear tell that every child has a "thing" that they do when they are young. I certainly know that Ethan has a "thing" and lemme just say that I just don't get it. I'd also like to say that once said child did this "thing", you'd think that he'd learn his lesson. That is not the case. Not one bit.

What is Ethan's "thing"? I hear you thinking that very question. And because you are my dear friend, I will share this "thing" with you. Lets just keep it between us, shall we? Thank you.

In the past 8ish months, Ethan has done something to his hair four times. Yes, you heard me right. The first time was the most traumatic on us all. Actually, as freaked out as I was about it, he was really upset. Distraught actually. You see, he took his dads mustache trimmer and shaved part of his head. To. The. Scalp.

See? I told you! He barged into my room freaking out. I will admit that I reacted by gasping. He kept saying "It's OK" over and over again. The only thing that we could think to do was to shave his entire head.

::Intermission::

I'm taking a break from the story to inform all of you {again} that Ethan gets an unfortunate trait from me. A round head. A very round head.

::End intermission::

So there we were, shaving his head with Jerry's clippers. Ethan went into melt down mode when he saw the end result, it was very upsetting actually, having to watch him go through this.

His hair was shaved so close to his head that he looked like a cancer kid. While I am not making fun of this fact, he really did.


He wore a hat to school for days and begged me to make him a boy again.

OK so after such a trauma, you would think he would learn his lesson right? No. A few months later, he got a hold of some Vaseline and proceeded to lather his head in it. We had our heads turned for just a few moments and he recreated the term hair style. Again.

30 minutes post shower and 50 hair washes later, I had most of the damage out. Oh it was still slick, but the worst of the damage was out. All the while he was pleading with me not to shave his head. Ah so he remembered that part, but did it stop him from experimenting? No.

A few quiet months go by so Jerry and I were lulled into a false sense of hair security.

Ethan cut a chunk of his hair out with scissors this time. His safety, kid friendly scissors. I'm here to tell you that kid safety scissors do a fine job of cutting hair. This time I was able to avert another hair shaving incident. Don't get me wrong, it was still quite apparent, but for the most part, his hair was intact.

And then last night rolled around. Did you know that 4-year olds can manage to get stuff in their hair in the most unlikely places? Or at least, Ethan can. I gave him a chocolate covered caramel as a treat. Mistake number 1. Then I let him take it to his room to eat it. Mistake number 2. He came into the room a few minutes later stating that he had something in his hair.

Caramel.

He had caramel on the back of his head. He did such a superb job of getting it embedded that I again had to cut his hair just about to the scalp. At that moment, he remembered his first brush with hair disaster and begged me yet again not to shave his head.

So, my son has a bald spot on the back of his head. Sorry everyone...no pictures.

He does however, make me shake my head in wonder. What is it about his hair that refuses to go quietly into that good night? No, it rages, rages.....eh sorry...I got a little carried away with the poetry. I'm done now.


Sincerely,

I Just Don't Get it

PS- It does make me smile though.

PSS- And the pictures make for such good leverage tools when he's older.

PSSS- Don't think I won't use them to my advantage!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When Ethan gets a little older,tell him his granny, new to the south and hair remedies, got a little information on a sulfer medicated salve used only by some of the ethnic people, who used it in straighten their hair. I saw SULFER and figured it would be great on a dry itchy scalp. Also thinking a little dab would do it, but more would really do the trick. I too ended up with slick hair, the likes of Sammy Davis JR. I too had to wash and rewash in Dawn the grease remover. It took forever to get my hair back to what it should be even going to work with the straigtest hair in the south. Ethan, you have a little of your Grandma in you and I was in my early 40's.

Anonymous said...

LOL! I am sorry but that is hilarious! Ian is just the opposite, when his hair gets too long he wants it shaved. Now he has never done it himself and heaven help us the day he tries! 4 times already, I am sorry but that is persistance!
Tara